Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ice.






I filled a large pot with ice cubes - including a few with food coloring added. I let A play with the ice for a bit and we talked about how the ice would melt a little and then stick together. He was talking about how cold it was and noticed that the pot was getting cold too. I then gave him a jug of warm water to pour in so we could watch the ice melting.

A tried swirling the water and noticed that the ice would melt faster if it was moving around in the water. He had a spoon as well and played until the ice was getting small, I then added some new ice so he could see the size difference.

I introduced a journal today as well. I was not sure how this would be received so its not something that 'has' to be done, but I thought that now he is drawing pictures it would be a fun way to talk about what we have just done and get in a little extra learning if the conversation headed that way. Its also going to be a great way to keep a record of what we do and also watch his progress and understanding.

He loved the idea and we got a chance to talk about how the ice had melted, temperatures and change. We talked about how the water was turned into ice and then back into water when it melted.

So I asked A if he wanted to draw a picture of what he had just done and he drew some ice and some water pouring over the top. I intend to do this every project we do, I am sure there will be times that he doesnt want to draw and thats no problem. I will date the entry and do a quick summary of what we did.

Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment